“The Pit and the Pendulum”
10th grade - your test in on Friday, 10/22. This review will be collected.
- What crime has the narrator been charged with?
- When the narrator first wakes up, what is he afraid of?
- How does the narrator escape from the bandages that restrain him?
- The narrator narrowly escapes death from a pit, a pendulum, and what?
- What is the main symbol of evil in “The Pit and the Pendulum”?
- From what point of view is the story told?
- What keeps the narrator from falling into the pit?
- What does the narrator seem to suffer most from?
- The point of view used in the story is effective because the reader gets an insight into the narrator’s _________.
- Why is the horror of the narrator’s situation intensified?
- What is the method of death that most frightens the narrator?
- What does the trumpet blast at the end of the story symbolize?
- What does the narrator do when he first wakes up?
- How would you summarize the last events of the story?
- What in the story could symbolize hell?
- -28. Repetition
29. Extended Response: How does Poe’s use of the first-person point of view heighten the horror in the story? Support your ideas with at least two references to details in the story.